Saturday 11 March 2017

Creating new topology for the knee joint, for good deformation


During the paint weights process I realised that the geometry I'd created (particuarly the knee joints and shoulder joints) would have poor deformation...
So, whilst it was time consuming, I decided to make my existing model a live surface and re draw the topology with the Maya quad draw tool.
tip: if the quad draw tool begins to lag, then delete history..

I then selected my geometry, and exported the selection as an .obj file. imported it directly into my scene that includes my rig, made sure everything was lined up and re-skinned it...

Below is a shot of the old knee topology and the new knee topology.
Although my ice men won't move much, they do need have a lot of knee, shoulder and hip deformation, and this process was definitely a great practice exercise in modelling




No comments:

Post a Comment