Thursday 25 February 2016

Reflective practice and critical review

For the critical review element of reflective practice, I've begun to research other animations that deal with the subject of loss and transformation...to gain a deeper understanding of what I am trying to achieve with my final project for Masters.

This animation is for the British Heart Foundation...

Whilst it's fairly striking in it's visual simplicity, I found the duration of 8m.29s too long. I would argue that the narration was overpowering and there wasn't much time (surprisingly given the length) for any silent reflection.
The simplicity of the actual artwork, I found to be repetitive and not very engaging after a very short while.
I appreciate the sentiment within the idea, and that this is directed specifically at children.
It's been good to review it, as it's firmed up form me, that I am aiming at a wider audience, and also to take a poetic look at loss, rather than specifically bereavement....



I suppose in summary, that this was the opposite to the very open ended 'Drawn into Tomorrow' digital animations that I saw recently at the DCA; where the viewer was given ample time to reflect and review their own subjective journey...

Other films seem to focus on a 'call to action' helpline, dealing with suicide, death and bereavement.
This has been a good starting point for research - in that I have been able to realise what I don't want to do - which in turn forces me to examine what it is that I do want to do!







No comments:

Post a Comment