Monday 25 April 2016

Henry Moore Institute Leeds - John Latham 'A lesson in Sculpture' exhibition - Critical Review

Here is an extract from the outline of the John Latham  'A lesson in Sculpture' exhibition, currently on show at the Henry Moore Institute, Leeds.

"A Lesson in Sculpture with John Latham addresses his visionary contribution to the study of sculpture, bringing sixteen works by Latham, spanning 1958 to 2005, into conversation with sixteen sculptures by artists working across the twentieth and twenty-first centuries."


I find it interesting to note, that I needed to look up some information, after I had attended the exhibition, to discover what exactly it was about; and what I had been looking at...(it reminds me of the time that I stood for some time, pondering the 'meaning' of  an 'installation of ever decreasing white circles' at a Damien Hirst exhibition at the Saatchi gallery in London...only to discover that I was staring at the building's air conditioning vents).

Had I been asked this weekend - what was the exhibition about? I would have answered. Assorted 3D studies and installations of carbon based materials; such as books, coal, paint, planet earth.

I really didn't pick up any idea (apart from the fact that the gallery was named after Henry Moore) that there may be a link towards sculpture.

The most interesting thing was an obscure quote on the wall - applied in vinyl - making a reference to God. And also a glimpse of Yves Klein blue, that appeared in a scientific study....I did rather like the books that were jammed between two vertical panes of glass; and suppose that this was representative, on some level, of sculpture....

The best part, for me, was a pendant light fitting. which shone in the starkness of it all. However, on reflection, this, like my Saatchi experience, could have been part of the furniture




No comments:

Post a Comment